By now, the cloud is a fairly common concept. As old as the internet itself, the practice of using remote servers to access information, software applications, and other services is almost second nature for people now, as many personal computing tasks now involve cloud technology.
Businesses frequently take advantage of cloud computing services such as:
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS);
- Platform as a Service (PaaS);
- Software as a Service (SaaS); and
- Network as a Service (NaaS)
These cloud-based services allow businesses to enhance their capabilities without having to make large investments in hardware and software.
However, not all cloud services are created equal.
Some cloud services are public in nature, used by a multitude of subscribers that share computing resources through the cloud. Others are private in nature, designed for the exclusive use of a single business and typically accessed through a private network or virtual private network.
Many businesses have highly sensitive information that they need to protect, both for their own security and to follow guidelines such as PCI, HIPAA or ISO 27001.
To meet their security needs while leveraging the benefits of the cloud, these companies rely on providers that offer secure cloud hosting services.
What is Secure Cloud Hosting?
Secure cloud hosting is, simply put, the provision of cloud services in a manner designed to thwart attempts to illicitly access information/services on said cloud.
For example, WHOA.com’s layered security model uses multiple layers of security to prevent data breaches from malicious traffic such as:
- Physical Security for Data Centers: WHOA.com partners only with Tier IV data centers that exercise stringent security protocols and 24/7 surveillance backed by both security personnel and CCTV feeds keep data centers protected from physical intrusion.
- Network Protection: WHOA.com uses Palo Alto Networks next-gen firewalls to protect the flow of user traffic at the periphery of the network.
- Secure Multitenant Architecture: Cutting-edge tech gives WHOA.com the ability to isolate tenant workloads quickly and securely.
- Per Tenant Firewalls: Each tenant on a WHOA.com network has their own isolated firewall. This enables WHOA.com customers to securely manage their own infrastructure.
- Host-Based Firewalls: The cloud host itself has additional firewalls to protect systems from attacks that might penetrate the perimeter or originate from an internal source.
- Antivirus Protection: WHOA.com offers managed hosted antivirus software for customers to remove complexity. This antivirus also enables scanning within customer systems for both external and internal threats such as malware.
- Backup and Replication: Data on WHOA.com systems are backed up and replicated on additional data centers, providing data redundancy so that a data center shutdown from network threats or physical environment threats doesn’t cause excess delays in accessing cloud-based resources.
These security layers are each designed to prevent malicious actors from penetrating the cloud and gaining access to sensitive information or resources that could be used to cause harm.
WHY WOULD I NEED SECURE CLOUD HOSTING?
A question that some companies that rely on cloud services have is: “why would my company need secure cloud hosting?”
The first, and biggest, reason for using secure cloud hosting is that there are many threats to the security of your company’s information, and these threats evolve every day.
For example, hackers have developed malicious applications that can dynamically hop ports or use non-standard ports to bypass some basic security measures, or use other programs as Trojans to trick users into bypassing security for them.
Relying on non-secure clouds that only have a single layer of protection means that once a bit of malicious software gets past that first line of defense, it’s free to to the maximum amount of damage it can.
Layered security in a secure cloud hosting service helps prevent damage by not only making it more difficult to penetrate security in the first place, but limiting access even if a malicious user or program gets past the first firewall.
Another reason for using a secure cloud hosting service is to comply with your industry’s information security standards.
For example, healthcare providers have to comply with the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) Privacy Rule, which, as stated on HHS.gov, requires companies to protect “the privacy of individually identifiable health information.”
Using secure cloud services is a vital part of not only building your business’ capabilities, but protecting the security of your business’ information and that of your customers/clients as well. Keeping up with the competition demands staying current with the best computing services the cloud has to offer, using secure cloud hosting helps keep your company safe while you leverage those services.
WHOA.com provides secure cloud hosting and disaster recovery solutions to enhance clients’ strategic and business operations with mission-critical cloud infrastructure. This is backed by a dedicated team of experienced, proactive professionals who are empowered to deliver enterprise-level solutions with all of the attention and care of a local business partner.